3/14/11

Nature home



Around the time of the winter solstice this year, I began a small nature space inside for little berry to enjoy. It was very small at first, a few pebbles, a leaf. Now that spring has slipped around to our part of the world, we are outside more and therefore when we are inside, we tend to bring the outdoors with us.

Besides the nearly constant open doors that allow the outside and inside to merge, we have a beautiful little collection of touch-and-feel nature items where little berry can stop&touch, pat, smell, admire, be creative and even sometimes, sing.


I was hesitant at first because I assumed it would be pretty messy, but I've enjoyed it. It tend to calm her down when she's acting wired or anxious and has her looking at her world closet when we're out and about, thinking about things that she can bring to the little space.


I also love that it tends to present an opportunity to learn about seasons, animals, plants, insects and weather all at once. We're also not a religious family so our table conversation is always science-based, but nature is a very important part of our life and lifestyle.




Does your family do a nature table? What items generally find their way inside in your little one's scrunched up fist or pockets?

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea. Absolutely adore it. I am thinking of where to create one now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Slee! I like it too. I'm noticing that our
    Little bowl of acorn and but shells aren't in this picture
    And I almost bet the young lady has 'planted' them as she loves copying.
    It might be more seasonally appropriate to do seashell collecting though :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it!